2. Although bears do like honey, they prefer to eat the bee larvae.
3. Honey comes in different colours and flavours. The flower where the nectar was gathered from determines the flavour and colour of the honey.
4. Bees are the only insect in the world that make food that humans can eat.
5. Bees have straw-like tongues called a proboscis so they can suck up liquids and also mandibles so they can chew.
6. Propolis is a sticky substance that bees collect from the buds of trees. Bees use propolis to weatherproof their hive against drafts or in spots where rain might leak in.
7. People have discovered the anti-bacterial properties of propolis for use in the medical field.
8. A single beehive can make more than 100 pounds of extra honey. The beekeeper only harvests the extra honey made by the bees.
9. A single honeybee will only produce approximately 1/12 teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
10. Out of 20,000 species of bees, only 4 make honey